Our new seasonal ‘Elder Growth’ has been released and is now for sale at a few of our retailers such as The Modern Bartender and very soon via The Crafty Bartender.
As such, we’ve come up with a few cocktails to get you started or give you inspiration.
As well, if you’re looking for a simple start, try them in a Manhattan, a Fitzgerald or a Negroni.
First up is ‘The Shortening of the Way’ which is a bright, yet deep and complex cocktail where the smoke and grapefruit marry really well with the Elder Growth’s fir and spice notes.
The Shortening of the Way
1.5 oz (45 ml) of pisco (Campo de Encanto is recommended)
1/2 oz (15 ml) of mezcal (we used Mezcal Vago – any quality mezcal will work)
1/4 oz (7.5 ml) of Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao
1 oz (30 ml) of grapefruit juice
1/3 oz (10 ml) of cinnamon simple syrup*
2 dashes of ‘Elder Growth’ conifer berry bitters
– Add all ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice. Shake.
– Strain into a chilled coupe and garnish with a grapefruit twist, squeezing the oils over the drink.
*To make cinnamon simple syrup, combine in a small saucepan over medium-low heat:
– Add: 1 cup water, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 stick of cinnamon.
– Stir frequently until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes. Cool and strain. Keep refrigerated.
Next up is the ‘Providence’, a stronger tipple that has layers of depth and is absolutely fantastic, especially during the winter months.
1.5 oz (45 ml) of apple brandy (we use Laird’s Bonded)
3/4 oz (22.5 ml) of Cocchi Americano Rosa
3/4 oz (22.5 ml) of Carpano Antica Formula sweet vermouth
1/4 oz (7.5 ml) of amontillado sherry
1 dash of ‘Elder Growth’ conifer berry bitters
– Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and fill with ice. Stir.
– Strain into a chilled coupe and garnish with a lemon twist, squeezing the oils over the drink.
That’s it for now!